Monday, April 24, 2017

Rachel Turns 8!

  Rachel turns 8! How can this be? I still remember being so prepared to go to the hospital. Sure I had never given birth before but I had helped raise many kids. I felt like I knew how to care for an infant, and what to expect in her toddler years. What I didn't know was how much she would get sick, that she would gag so easy making her eat one more bite, would also make her get sick. That I would change my clothes and hers after many night time feedings. What I didn't know was that she would have an interest in potty training at 18 months, but still be wearing pull-ups at the age of 5. That one day she would see me getting my pajamas on and ask where my pull-up was, and when I replied I don't wear one, that would be the last night she wore a pull-up. What I didn't know was that she would bang her head on anything when she got in trouble, I finally had to start holding her for timeouts as I was afraid that she would knock herself out banging her head on the wall while in time out. What I didn't know was that she would love love school, but be terrified to ride the bus after the first couple weeks of school, because another kid on the bus would treat her badly. What I didn't know was that she would love math, and be really good at it, but struggle to read. That we would read book after book only for her to fall farther behind, then one day she would finish a chapter book and figure out reading and now love it as well. What I didn't know was that she would have a sister and a brother but not care to hold them as babies; she would love them when they could play but not really care to watch over them like an older sister. She loves to teach them things but really loves to play and go to Grandma's alone. There are so many things that I have learned about Rachel in 8 years and so many things that I have yet to learn. I thank GOD every day that he brought Rachel into our lives and that he gives us the tools, family, friends, and village to help her grow and learn. Rachel you are an amazing 8 year old and we can't wait to continue on this journey with you and see where it leads us all.
   April 10-16
 Monday we took Rachel to school then came home and I ran on the treadmill before we headed to town to take Roger to the vet. He had to go in and get his blood drawn so that I could get him some heart guard medicine and some flea and tick meds. We then took Becca to school and came home and did some house work. After school we went to town and ordered some hats for mom and dad and picked up some McDonald's for supper. When we got home I finished mowing while Rachel helped the kids finish supper and get ready for bed. We are trying to give Rachel more responsibilities. She did good getting everyone ready for bed and Mike got home right at bed time and was able to help. I got the mowing finished and since it was such a nice night I also laid down mulch until 9:30 and then I couldn't see anymore.
  Tuesday the girls both had school and we went to Jazzercise. While the girls were in school I did some book work and played with Alec. After school we came home and got the girls ready and headed to town for soccer pictures. The girls have both enjoyed soccer so much this year. The coaches are doing great and the girls are learning so much and becoming good soccer players. I still don't understand the rules but can at least keep up with the levels they are playing on.









Becca's soccer team.
  Wednesday we took Rachel to school and then had a plumber come out and look at the faucet on the front of the house. When we tried to water the tulips a couple weeks ago water started running under the siding. The plumber came out and found a crack in the pipe in the house. He said we were lucky we found it and shut the water off so soon as most people end up flooding their basement before they figure out they have a cracked pipe. After taking Becca to school Alec and I went to Carharrt lumber to get an estimate on our decking material. We are hoping for the carpenter to start building our new deck out back the first couple weeks in May. We then ran a couple more errands before picking up the girls from school. We didn't have anything going on that evening so Elly came over to play after school. It was such a nice day and I needed to make sure the sprinkler all worked after being off all winter so I checked the sprinklers while the kids ran through them and had a water balloon fight. Rachel also made her cake by herself. I helped her frost it and then she decorated it. The cake pan we get from mom last time we were home. A lot of our cakes growing up came out of this pan. I also realized and remembered why mom stopped using the pan. There is always a part of the cake that sticks in the pan and when you decorate the cake there are lots of crumbs in the frosting!


Group sprinkler picture.

Lots of cake crumbs

Nothing a few sprinkles can't fix!
   Thursday was Rachel's birthday. The girls both had school and then since it was Holy Thursday we went to church at 6 with Marty and Lisa. We then went to their house and had supper and dyed Easter eggs. The kids always have a great time and we missed Babs this year as she had to work. Sam also didn't join us as he was playing basketball. After we finished the eggs it was time to go home and get ready for Rachel's birthday party on Friday.











Finished Eggs!
   Friday the kids didn't have school so Elly and Grace came over in the morning. We had lunch and then went to Wild Bill's for the start of Rachel's party. We meet up with Sarah M., Payton and Kinley H., Bab and Sam, and Chloe W. The kids all enjoyed playing game and then Stacy came and helped me bring all the girls home for a movie party. They watched sing and we did some photos and it was time to take everyone home so we could head to the ranch. 

Chloe W.

Elly J.

Grace C.

The birthday crew

Sarah M.

Kinley H.




Payton H.


Getting sung too!





Birthday lunch before heading to town.

The kids favorite ride.

So much fun.

Ice Cream Cupcake time
  Saturday we spent the day at the ranch. Sean and Ashyln were also there. The kids had so much fun. We dyed eggs, the kids went boating, rode horses, rode the 4-wheeler, helped Granddad and Uncle Aaron, had yummy food and then came home Saturday night!
Learning to crack a bull whip


Exploring

Riding

First time Becca rode by herself

Riding with a lead

Getting ready to go on the boat with Sean and Ash

Group picture before the egg hunt





Sean and Becca fishing. Becca caught her first fish!

Roger needed a little swim

Going to help Aaron pull a calf

Eating Eggs.

Flying Kites
  Sunday was Easter. The girls woke up early but Alec was so tired we let him sleep until after the girls took baths and had breakfast. Then it was time to find baskets and candy and get ready for church. After church we went to Marty and Lisa's for lunch and an egg hunt then came home and Grandma Priest and Wanda came out to visit. We enjoyed sitting outside while Mike installed a new front storm door. The kids and I then planted some carrots and radishes and it was time for bed. What a busy and wonderful Easter weekend we had!
The Easter Bunny Was Here!


















Alec and his Godparents!














 


  Lots of pictures and lots of good times had over the past week. Happy Birthday Rachel and Happy Easter to those we didn't get to see!



No comments:

Post a Comment