Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Back To School Traditions

   One back to school tradition that I remember happening every year but probably only happened a couple years was going school shopping with our babysitters. Madge, Lisa, and Jenny would take us girls to Norfolk to go school shopping. It was always an interesting day full of many laughs. I decided that I would like the girls to have the same traditions. Something to look forward to at the end of summer and going back to school. This week we Becca and I went to Kearney with Cathy and Bentley for back to school shopping. We may have been a week or 2 early as most the stores were in the middle of changing seasons but we had a great time and the girls enjoyed spending the day together.
    Monday the girls started swimming lessons. Becca is in Preschool level 2 and Rachel is in Level 1 of the red cross swimming lessons that are held at the rec center. Both girls had a great time and have really enjoyed their lessons. They are both getting to be better swimmers and I enjoy the time hanging out with Alec and watching the girls in a class type environment. They both love to talk, I wonder where they get that from?? After swimming lessons we came home and spent the afternoon deep cleaning the car, we cleaned all the car seats and even took the seats out of the suburban and washed and vacuumed everything.
Becca back floating at lessons.
Getting ready for Becca's favorite part. Jumping into the water.
Rachel practicing her bobs. She no longer holds her nose!
    Tuesday we again had swimming in the morning then went over to Gwen's and played with Cyline. The kids had a great time and even enjoyed running in the sprinklers! We stayed until nap time then came home. 
    Wednesday we picked up Hanna for swimming lessons so Alec stayed and played with Dutch. The girls had a good time swimming together in between lessons. After lessons we picked up Rebekah and she stayed home with Rachel and Alec while Becca and I went to Kearney shopping. We got home that night just in time for supper and then got ready for bed.
Becca and Bentley at Target.
First Pedicure for both the girls.
Becca loved everything about it.
    Thursday we had our last day of swimming for the week. The kids and I all kind of had head colds so after lessons we just came home and had lunch then enjoyed watching movies and napping most the afternoon. 
    Friday when Mike got off work we headed to Mullen to spend some time with Aaron and Liza and the kids. Friday night we had supper then enjoyed some time around the fire. Rachel and Sean slept outside in the tent.
   Saturday morning we got up and after breakfast we went tanking down the Loup river. We all had an amazing time tanking and can't wait to go back and do it again. Becca and Alec were pretty tired by the time we got done but everyone had a great time then we went back to Aaron's, showered and everyone laid down for naps. After naps we got up and headed to Grandma and Granddad's for supper. We enjoyed a couple games of cards after supper and all the kids except Alec feel asleep before we left.
Becca enjoying a snack while tanking.
Rachel loved floating and hanging on to the side of the tank.
Becca singing to Uncle Aaron in the Kayak
Daddy and Alec in the Kayak
     Sunday we got up and had breakfast then packed up and headed back to Mike's parents as we forgot Becca's shoes and Mike's hat and sunglasses. We enjoyed visiting with Wanda while the guys were in the hay-field. After some lunch we headed home and enjoyed some time outside before coming in and watching a couple movies before bed.
    A little story about Wanda:  When we first moved into our house here Wanda was here one afternoon about this time of year and as she was walking out to the swing set she would bend over and pick some sand-burs and then keep walking. I remember asking her how she could find the sand-burs. She told me that they had a red steam and just looked a little different. I remember thinking that there was no way I would ever be able to find the sand-burs before the actual burs were on as I couldn't tell the difference between the sand-bur plants and the grass. Well 4 years later I can also be found walking around in the back yard pulling sand-burs as I find them. We do have significantly less sand-burs than 4 years ago but please if you come and visit and see me out back randomly pulling grass, know that I am not crazy. I am just trying to get ahead of the sand-burs and would love to show you how to tell the difference between grass and sand-burs if you would like to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment