Wednesday, January 16, 2019

August 27 - September 2

  This week is one of our favorite weeks of the year. We are in full swing of school and then get a long weekend to spend with family at one of the most beautiful places. One thing I love about my mom's side of the family is how much time and devotion the give to making sure they get together often and do things that everyone want to join in on. Tim and Laurie are amazing hosts and the scenery and weather has been beautiful every year I have gone.
   Monday was Alec's first day of Preschool so after taking the girls to school we went to his first day. He was unsure about who he would meet and what his teachers would be like but he loved it. He loves to compare his school this year to his school last year. After school he picked lunch at McDonald's. His favorite place and it is even better when we get to go in and order our own food. After lunch we came home and I canned pickles while Alec played and watched iPad. The girls rode the bus home which is so nice on days like today when I am trying to finish canning and don't want to clean everything up twice.




 This sink full of cucumbers brought me to tears. Looking down into a water bath of cucumbers is one of the things I miss most about grandma. Growing up I loved going to their house and sitting on the white picnic table under the big tree in the shade scrubbing cucumbers. I don't remember a specific conversation but I'm sure I talked a lot and asked many questions. Grandma told me that she liked when I came to help because I could get more pickles in a jar than she could because my hands were so much smaller. On this day as I stuffed jars and washed pickles I wished for just one more phone call to hear her voice and tell her about my day and that I remember our time together. Each year I will share her story with the kids as we enter into canning season and someday I hope to have grand kids come over and have smaller hands and stuff my jars and talk as we scrub pickles in the shade!
   Tuesday the kids all had school and I went for a walk while waiting for Alec. I then went and ran some errands before picking Alec up to come home. I spent the afternoon canning. Wednesday the kids had school. I had a dentist appointment, then a hair appointment, then I had to go back to the dentist to get my final tooth for my lower implant. Lisa picked Alec up from school and then had a great afternoon together. That afternoon I canned Tomato Juice.
Ashlynn and Alec on Ashlynn's first day

New Hair Cut and color

The kids love helping me with canning

Kyler and Alec. Both of their dad's went to college together and now the boys!
    Thursday the kids had school. Alec completed his first full week and loved it! Justin came over to watch the kids that evening while Mike and I attended a White Hospital function! We had a great time and always enjoy a night out. The kids love when Justin comes over and he always has the kids in bed and the house picked up when we get home. His mom has trained him well. 

Traci, Mike, Vince, Gwen, and I

   Friday the girls had school and Alec and I ran some errands and got groceries before coming home to load the camper. When the girls and Mike got home we headed to Valentine. We loved having the pop up camper but it took me so long to unpack and repack with each trip so after this trip we decided to start looking for an RV.
    Saturday the guys all got up early and went golfing. The women and kids all just stayed at the house and played, ate, and had great conversations. The cousins big and small have so much fun playing games and just letting the kids be kids. No TV, iPads (unless we are watching husker volleyball and Nebraska Football) just game in the sun! Saturday night was the first Nebraska football game that has been rained out. It rained so hard in Lincoln and was lightening that they waited until 11 pm to even call the game as everyone wanted to see Scott Frost coaching his first game. We did not get rain but it was very cool that night and again on Sunday.
Golfing Crew


The Cousins that were there that morning, more joined in the afternoon

Kite flying!

   Sunday Tim planned a big tubing trip down the river. It was going to be so fun. Then the sun decided not to come out so we all froze the whole way down. It was still fun to spend time with uncles and cousins but by the time we got off the river we were all ready to be done. Becca and Alec were both frozen. But after a shower and change of clothes we went back down by the river for the cream can boil and some smores and the day was so much better.



Alec was sad Granny was leaving

Patsy was teasing Alec and was going to throw him in the river

Taking the air out of the big ball!

Nature walk to the flag pole

Deer antlers Uncle Jim tried to convince them it was real!
   We had another great Labor Day with many memories and lots of laughs. We wish the weather was warmer but overall we had an amazing trip as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment